Shepherd's Old Field Market ("SOF Market") derives our name from the "Shepard" family, who donated their land in the 1600's to help create portions of current day Leonardtown.
The purpose of Shepherd's Old Field Market is to provide a marketplace community catalyst that aims to promote mixed use redevelopment, community interaction, grassroots local commerce, and historic place attachment in Leonardtown, Maryland.
This mission statement can be found behind the checkout counter at the Market.
The current SOF Market building was previously the location of Leonardtown Building Supply, owned by the Miedzinski family. The building stood vacant for many years until it was repurposed into what is now Shepherd's Old Field Market.
Many of the items that remained from the days of Leonardtown Building Supply were repurposed in the redevelopment of SOF Market. Upon entering the Market, you will notice an original wood garage door that separates the shops from the larger open back area of the Market. Doors, windows, wood, fixtures, and other items have been repurposed into the structure of the Market in an attempt to maintain some of the historical value of the building.